Inclusive Education and Counselling Cell
OIS promotes Inclusion by welcoming all children. School has come up with an effective model of inclusive education which not only benefit students with difficulties, but also create an environment in which every student, including those who do not have difficulty, has the opportunity to flourish.
Our school places great importance on creating opportunities for students to learn and be assessed in a variety of ways. We offer an inclusive mainstream curriculum with additional support, accommodations, intervention, differentiation and personalization, diversifying the educational experience of all students.
Using individual need-based educational techniques, strategies, tools and accommodations CONNEXION Department help children with special needs to overcome learning challenges as a detour rather than a road-block.
The School provides, a plethora of opportunities for students with special needs as we believe “Embrace, Engage, Empower”.
To educate and empower Children with Determination and provide them high quality education.
- To help children Academically, Socially, and Emotionally.
- To improve learning opportunities and raise the achievements of Children with Determination.
- To provide facilitators and students with strategies and activities with instructional support tools that foster academic competence.
- To identify, intervene and provide appropriate provisions to students.
- To formulate the Individual Education Plan (IEP) and initiate the remediation process to bridge the learning gap.
- To support the students and promote inclusion, reduce the underachievement gap and enable all students to reach their full potential.
- To provide a differentiated curriculum appropriate to the individual needs and ability and wherever possible to meet those needs in the mainstream classroom.
- To work co-operatively with parents in order to help understand the child’s need and the learning process.
The criteria for placement in school are done by assessing the minimum level of Learning, CAT 4 assessment, previous academic experiences with his/her engagement with special needs, the ability of the school to provide appropriate resources and a conducive learning environment.
Students having specific difficulty in learning academic skills and other skills are referred to the department by parents, teachers, and supervisors. The student’s intellectual functioning level is identified along with the student’s strength and weakness. The assessment of behavior, social and emotional levels are also done using standardized CAT4 assessment. Thereafter, a consultation with the parent is done to discuss the outcome of the assessment.
The CONNEXION Team along with the Teacher, child and the Parent formulate an Individualized Education Plan (IEP). The Team provides support in the areas of concern by providing strategies and activities to support academic development. Reviews of the students’ needs are done at the end of the each term to determine the level of progress. A student will remain in the program as long as it is beneficial.
Remedial program is initiated keeping the (IEP) in focus. Sessions are held as per the requirement of the student on a one to one individual assistance. Monthly activities are designed keeping the yearly target in mind. The focus is on adopting a child-centered approach, which provides individualized learning and teaching programs based on the assessed needs and strengths of each child. Apart from catering to the academic skills the remedial program also fosters the development of appropriate social skills, communication skills, motor skills etc. Once the student attains the required level of learning, the support is gradually withdrawn.
- Extend timing in examination
- Exemption from 1st and 2nd language
- Oral exams
- Modification of syllabus and examination (Grade 5-7)
- Computer for examination
These are few provisions given as per CBSE and KHDA. These provisions are given after formal diagnosis and KHDA approval.
We value the support of parents and work in partnership with them at all stages of intervention. A regular feedback of student’s progress or changes in intervention is intimated to the parents placed in the CONNEXION Department. Parental counseling is also an integral ongoing component, which looks at consultation, sensitization and providing updates.