How to begin your child's journey...
Mission Statement: “Embrace, Engage, Empower”
At GEMS Our Own Indian School, Dubai, we strive to develop in students the quest for knowledge, proficiency in written and oral communication skills and the capability to think independently. We nurture in students an open mind capable of analytical thinking, commitment and hard work and guide them to become confident, self-assured and caring citizens of tomorrow. We encourage all students to realize their true potential .
All students are eligible for admission to GEMS Our Own Indian School if it is believed that the school can meet their particular needs. GEMS Our Own Indian School does not discriminate on the basis of race, creed, colour, gender, or national origin and seeks to accept all qualified students who apply.
OIS promotes inclusion by welcoming all children. The school admits pupils irrespective of their gender, race, disability, or special educational needs, provided that there are good prospects of meeting their needs without unduly prejudicing the education and welfare of other pupils. School has come up with an effective model of Inclusive Education which not only benefit students with difficulties, but also create an environment in which every student, including those who do not have difficulty, has the opportunity to flourish. No student is refused admission based only on their experience of SEND.
Children with special needs will be considered for admission on an equal basis with all other children according to the criteria set out in the school’s admission policy taking into account the suitability of the child to mainstream education and availability of resources and facilities to meet that child’s needs.
All applicants for places at GEMS Our Own Indian School will be required to undertake a placement test which will be marked by staff in school and will influence where a successful applicant is placed within the school.
Placement in all classes will be made by the Principal on the basis of the child's previous educational record, the assessment of the school, and by age. The initial placement is tentative and the school may reassess the child's placement after the child's abilities & behavioral issues have been thoroughly observed in class or through additional testing.
Applications for admission can only be accepted when all documentation required is made available to the school.
For all grades, Online registration for admission to the new academic year commences from October/November, each year. In all cases, admission procedures laid down by the KHDA have to be adhered to.
Students will have to be enrolled online prior to the admission.
- Application Fee of AED 500 + VAT will be charged for the assessment process.
- Registration Deposit(Non-refundable) of 10% of the total tution fees is charged at the time of admission and is deductible from the total tution fees for the academic year.
For admissions to KG 1
The child must be 4 years old by 31st July.
For admission to KG 2
The child must be 5 years old by 31st July.
For Admissions to Grade 1
The child must be 6 years old by 31st July.
On acceptance, the Admission Forms will need to be completed. For more information on the documents required by the school for your child’s admission, please consult the 'Admissions Policy' link to the left.
Click for School Admission Policy
Documents to be submitted with the Admission Forms
- Three copies of the student’s passport with the valid visa of the UAE.
- Four recent photographs of the child (6x4 cm size) and one stamp-size photograph for the bus card.
- One photocopy of the Birth Certificate in English or Arabic. (Original must be attached along with for verification).
- One copy of the Student's & Parent's Emirates ID.
- Original Emirates ID of the Student and both Parents for KHDA Registration (Will be returned immediately after the On-Line Registration in the KHDA System).
- Photocopy of the original mark sheet of the last examination passed at the previous school.
- Students seeking admission to the school from Grade 2 and upwards, are required to submit their original Transfer Certificate/ School Leaving Certificate of the school last attended, IN ENGLISH ONLY, duly attested as per guidelines given below:
A) For students coming from outside the UAE, the following order of attestation must be observed for the Transfer Certificate:
For students coming from India:
- The Transfer Certificate has to be verified by the Education Officer of the Zone / District / Area, from where the TC has been obtained.
- The seal and signature of the Education Officer has to be attested by the Indian Consulate in Dubai.
- The External Affairs Ministry of the UAE in Dubai / Sharjah is required to attest it.
For students coming from Gulf countries other than the UAE, The Transfer Certificate must be:
- Attested by the Indian Consulate of that country
- Attested by the Ministry of Education of that country
- Stamped by the Ministry of External Affairs of that country
- Stamped by the UAE Consulate / Embassy located in that country
B) for students coming from Emirates other than Dubai, the Transfer Certificate should be Attested by the Ministry of education of that Emirate
6.. Students seeking admission after june 15th for grades KG -1 onwards are also required to submit the attested Transfer Certificates as mentioned in serial no 5(a) and (b) for the class in which the child is currently studying.
Please share full details of any special educational needs, Individual Education Plans (IEPs) and any Educational Psychologist, Pediatric, or other specialist reports (e.g., IQ, Psychological, Speech and Language or Occupational ) if completed. Sharing educational history prior to a place being offered is essential so that staff can ensure an appropriate assessment of educational need, educational plan and resourcing is in place. Admission is not conditional on the submission of a medical diagnosis and we have effective transition processes in place for all children.
Students are not refused admission based only on their experience of a special education need or disability (SEND) and we give sibling priority for admission to students who experience SEND. Staff follow KHDA guidance and procedures for scenarios where, very rarely, it may not be in the best interests of the child to be placed in OIS. This information will be shared with the KHDA, following expected procedures.
The school insists that every student should posses a valid health card as required by the health authorities.
The department of Health and Medical Service provides the necessary immunisation to the students according to the immunisation schedules followed by them. However, those who do not possess vaccination cards are vaccinated on the basis of their previous medical records, submitted by the parents to the school nurse, with the exception of KG students who are not given vaccination in school.
A copy of the Child’s Vaccination Card / copy of the Medical Record from the previous school must be attached to the Medical Dossier, duly filled by the parent and submitted to the Nurse at the time of admission.
Procedure for Withdrawal
Transfer Certificate / Leaving Certificate has to be applied on-line through My Learning-Oasis.
Parents are advised to give at least a month’s notice to the school authorities while applying for the Transfer Certificate or the School Leaving Certificate.
On collection of the Transfer Certificate, parents are advised to collect the Medical Record of their ward from the School Nurse at the Medical Room.